Skip to main content

Project Tethys Post-mortem

Project Tethys was my entry for Ludum Dare 29. Here's the elevator pitch:
Project Tethys is a fast-paced underwater 2D shoot-em up inspired by the likes of Defender and Resogun. You control an advanced combat submarine tasked with defending an underwater research facility against an invading army. If you enjoy classic arcade-style action, this game is for you!
So far the game has been getting pretty good feedback. It's the most polished entry I've ever submitted for a Ludum Dare and the one that I'm most proud of so far. Here's what it looks like in action:


I've carried on working on it since the end of the competition, fixing some of the problems people have commented on and adding more of the features I'd originally planned. Expect another post about that when I'm ready to release it.

Tools

  • Unity 4.3 (free version)
  • GarageBand for iPad
  • bxfr
  • Nuke 8.0 (specifically the ModelBuilder node)
  • Paint.NET
  • VLC

What went right

  • Making a game I wanted to play! Helped me stay motivated and to be more critical when testing it, leading to a better game overall.
  • Using Unity. This was my first time using Unity and it was awesome! So much quicker than the hand-rolled javascript framework I'd been using for my previous LD entries. It allowed me to concentrate on the game rather than the tech.
  • Choosing a look that I could handle. The art style & setting only needed simple 3D models with no animation or rigging, which are things I suck at so I was glad to avoid them. Dynamic lighting makes it all look good anyway.
  • Time management. I had something playable by the end of the first day & spent the second day adding content and polishing it. At the end of the second day I stopped working on gameplay elements and started adding the bits around the game (titles, help, high scores, etc.).
  • Music. GarageBand on the iPad is an awesome way to quickly create music for game jams. Also, I've played around with it before so at least had some idea what I was doing.

What went wrong

  • Familiarity with Unity. Because it was my first Unity project I had to spend a fair bit of time watching tutorials and reading docs during the competition. If I already knew all that stuff I'd probably have had time fit in more of the enemy and power-up types I'd planned.
  • The explosions. That was a noob error: I should have ticked the box in Unity to make them 3D sounds, so that the ones further away weren't as loud. Oh well.
  • No radar or minimap. The game really needs one: without it you can't tell where the enemies are approaching from or where the power-ups are falling. I kept putting off doing this during the competition (because I wasn't sure how to do it), but I should have listened to myself.

Lessons

  • Make a game that you want to play. It's a lot easier going if you do.
  • Keep using Unity!
  • Learn your tools ahead of time, so that you don't waste time learning them during the competition (and don't make noob errors).
  • Day 1 is for gameplay, day 2 is for content & gameplay refinement, the final few hours are for polish and completeness.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Assert no lock required

This is a technique I learnt about from Jason Gregory's excellent book, Game Engine Architecture (3rd Edition) . If you have a shared resource accessed by multiple threads, where you're fairly certain that it's only ever accessed by one thread at a time, you can use an assert() to check for this at debug time without having to pay the runtime cost of locking a mutex. The implementation is fairly straightforward: class UnnecessaryMutex { public: void lock() { assert(!_locked); _locked = true; } void unlock() { assert(_locked); _locked = false; } private: volatile bool _locked = false; }; #ifdef ENABLE_LOCK_ASSERTS #define BEGIN_ASSERT_LOCK_NOT_REQUIRED(mutex) (mutex).lock() #define END_ASSERT_LOCK_NOT_REQUIRED(mutex) (mutex).unlock() #else #define BEGIN_ASSERT_LOCK_NOT_REQUIRED(mutex) #define END_ASSERT_LOCK_NOT_REQUIRED(mutex) #endif Usage is equally straightforward: UnnecessaryMutex gMutex; void PossiblyOverlappingFunction

Triangle bounding boxes in a single byte

Just thought of a way to store the bounding box for a single triangle in only one byte. It's not really practical or something you'd ever really want to use, but what the hell. Assume we have some kind of indexed mesh structure with a list of vertex positions and a list of triangle indices:   struct Mesh {     std::vector<vec3> verts;     std::vector<uvec3> triangles;   }; We can find the bounding box of a triangle by taking the min and max of all three vertices:   vec3 Mesh::lowerBound(uint32_t tri) const {     vec3 v0 = verts[triangles[tri].x];     vec3 v1 = verts[triangles[tri].y];     vec3 v2 = verts[triangles[tri].z];     return min(min(v0, v1), v2);   }   vec3 Mesh::upperBound(uint32_t tri) const {     vec3 v0 = verts[triangles[tri].x];     vec3 v1 = verts[triangles[tri].y];     vec3 v2 = verts[triangles[tri].z];     return max(max(v0, v1), v2);   } This is nice and simple and probably way better than what I'm about to suggest. W

LD_DEBUG

Posting this mainly as a reminder to myself... If you ever find yourself needing to figure out a dynamic library loading problem on Linux, LD_DEBUG can be a massive help. This is an environment variable you can set to make the dynamic linker print out a ton of useful diagnostic info. There are a number of different values which control the amount and type of diagnostics printed. One of the values is help; if you set LD_DEBUG to this and run executable it will print out a list of all the available options along with brief descriptions. For example, on my Linux workstation at the office: > LD_DEBUG=help cat Valid options for the LD_DEBUG environment variable are: libs display library search paths reloc display relocation processing files display progress for input file symbols display symbol table processing bindings display information about symbol binding versions display version dependencies all all previous options combi